Monday, February 21, 2011

Family-less Day

My laptop (with all access to work files, homework assignments, ability to watch movies, listen to CDs, etc.) is currently at the doctor's with a nasty virus. Well, I'm hoping it isn't that nasty that it can't be cured relatively quickly without harm to some of it's functionality and files.

However, no pictures for now and limited posting because this old machine is SLOW!

I've just had the most lovely weekend that I've spent in a long time. And it's all because I've been alone. All alone! I celebrated Family Day by kicking my family out and it's been great. I can't remember when I've had three days without them and without friends too. I don't want people to think that I never get away. Once a year I get to go to Kelown with friends and spend days drinking wine and eating yummy picnics.

But this is different. I eat when I want to eat. Sleep when I want to sleep. Clean when I want to, play the piano, I even picked up the cello again. And maybe the lack of computer was even a good thing.

I get many hours to myself during the week when the kids are at school, but in the back of my mind I'm always counting done the hours/minutes until they come home. If I go out, I have to remember to be back home by a certain time. And even if I have a full day alone, I'm trying to cram in enough stuff that I can relax a bit too. You can't actually rush relaxation. It doesn't work that way.

So on the first day I slept in until 8:30. That's not late, and that's the latest I slept all weekend, but the lovely thing was waking without an alarm clock or the sound of others moving around the house. I opened the curtains and woke with the sun.

I also went to bed earlier than usual. That was unexpected. I think I missed my family most in the evenings. The night is long without them. The first night I went out for dinner (ate food they wouldn't have liked) and then went to Rosa's to watch a movie because it was really weird to be alone in the house like that. By day 2 I was better. I launched into projects and finished a dress and blouse in one day.

And now they are coming home. They should be enjoying the museum in Wetaskawin right now and maybe I should go to our museum this afternoon and go through it at my own pace. What luxury!

But I'll welcome them home too. I think I'd be mighty lonely if this lasted for long. Three days is not long though. I'm thinking that I should do this again next year. Happy Family-less Day!

No comments: