Tuesday, May 7, 2013

School

When I graduated from university, I wanted to be one of those people who is constantly learning something new.  I admire those people.  Taking upgrading, the odd literature class, learning to paint or try a new instrument.  When you're young, you forget that life can get really busy and it's not (unfortunately) all about you.  You marry, have kids, attend parent council meetings and community league meetings, get jobs, blah, blah, blah.

And you get older too.  And more tired.

Anyway, it's been a very long time since I've dedicated any time to learning something new.  The inner geek in me is very excited about my new job though.  Among other jobs, I will be a notetaker for a deaf student this term. 

I get to attend classes every day until the end of June.  Not subjects of my choice.  For that I'd have to pay.  For this, I get paid.  However, the classes don't sound un-interesting to me and some of it may even be practical or useful. 

Cabinetmaking.  Math.  Blueprint reading. 

Cool!  Math! 

If I take on more of these jobs, I should also start to learn sign language.  That would be a new skill with some practical application.  We'll see. 

In any case, I'd better get ready for school.  I hope I find a friend to spend recess with...

No comments: