Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Best Mother's Day Gift

I had given up, frankly. Laura is 10 this year and has shown no interest in riding a bike. Only fear and eventually maybe some embarrassment, so I've tried not to talk about it in front of her friends or even in front of her anymore.

Yesterday she did it!

I was grinning from ear to ear as I walked all around the neighbourhood while she rode everywhere, stopping at every corner to wait for me to catch up or to wave back. She then went for two more bike rides before the day was over.

Whoo-hoo!! Only one kid to go and we can increase our distance without getting in the van so often. I am so thrilled!

Now if anyone has a bike suitable for a 12 year old, Beth needs a new one this year. I could buy a potentially stolen bike from a pawn shop, but I'd rather not and I can't afford a new one this time.

2 comments:

life in this 1880 farmhouse said...

I was 8 when I learned to ride a bike. My brothers all a lot younger. But i had to share with my twin brother and I figured I would never get it so why learn.
All my kids got bikes used from garage sales or hand-me-downs from friends. I ride a bike everywhere now. petal power rather then $$$$$ gas.

Marlyn

Evelyn in Canada said...

I was pushed down a long hill by my brother when I was about 7. I either had to quickly learn to pedal and control the bike or I'd fall nastily. I must say that the technique worked!

Thanks for the bike, Rosa! Beth loves it and it should last a couple of years (depending on growth spurts).