Saturday, August 8, 2009

I'm feeling lucky

Since losing my copy of Photoshop, I've been using Picassa to edit my photos. And my favourite action in Picassa is the "I'm feeling lucky" action. It usually improves the picture and then I can do smaller alterations to the shadows and such.

But that's not why I'm lucky.

I'm lucky that people think of me when they've got excess fruit hanging from their trees.

I'm lucky that I have friends to pick them with.

And I'm lucky that our girls all get along so well and are not afraid of standing on ladders.

I'm lucky that I have an extra freezer for when all of the produce from trees and gardens are ripe and ready.

I'm lucky that we don't mind pulp in our juice.

I'm lucky that my husband will pick, pit and process all day with me.

I'm lucky that my daughter is interested in baking. And is willing to share her baking with others (this one will go to the coffee hour after the church service tomorrow).

I'm lucky that the same daughter can make bread.

I'm lucky that she share my preference for whole grains over white flour.



I'm lucky that the whole family likes balsamic vinegar and olive oil because this loaf turned out particularly heavy and was turned into a flatbread.
And I also know that none of these things are really the product of "luck".

6 comments:

Coralee said...

yup - you're right, truly blessed!

Rhonda Jean said...

Lovely photos. You've been busy! I love your garden and I have to tell you that I love horses too.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, I found your post just today! As I was perusing some of your older posts I came across a picture of a plant which looks just like one I have in my garden and have no idea what it is. I was hoping you could help me. It's the huge leafy thing you have in the upper left corner of the picture of your back garden in your post dated July 9th. I am terribly new to gardening and was both blessed and cursed to buy a lovely home with intimidatingly huge and mature gardens. I've spent my summer so far learning, cooping, indentifying, finding and drowning out there. All in good fun mind, but I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Evelyn in Canada said...

Welcome to the site! I don't get many unknown visitors.

I'd have loved to move into a house with a mature garden, but yes, it's work, especially if you're unfamiliar with what is cropping up. Our house had just a huge lawn and an empty veggie patch.

That leafy plant was one of the only plants we inherited from the previous owners. It's rhubarb and has been producing for many years (and many months now).

Anonymous said...

I am curious to know where you are. I am in Calgary, want to plant a fruit tree, but thought apples were my only choice. Is that cherries that you have?

I also have a young daughter that likes to bake. We are lucky! :)

Evelyn in Canada said...

Karen: There are a lot of fruit trees that can grow here (I'm in Edmonton, but the zones are slightly different). These were Evans Cherries and grow almost to BC cherry sized fruit. This year was a bit smaller.

Rosa can add to this list if she sees it. You can grow: plums, apples, crab apples, pears, apricots, cherries, currants, raspberries, honey berries, blueberries, gooseberries, saskatoons, highbush cranberries. That's all I'm coming up with from the top of my head. You can definitely fill your 100 mile diet with plenty of fruit and become a expert in preserving. I would miss melons, bananas and oranges.