Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Being Green

If you are what you eat, then we are green.


And it's not easy being green.

And it's not easy eating green. Every day. Day after day after day.

(Note: All that you read here is not necessarily the opinion of the editor. I love green, and I love eating green and wearing green and I've been daily trying to be a bit more ecofriendly too. And I love going to garden to gather supper. This post has been heavily influenced by the younger set in the household.)


We've eaten Swiss Chard. And peas.




And sugar snap peas. And beans, spinach, bok choi, beet tops and brocolli.

I don't even consider the Swiss Chard to be green. Look at these colors. Are they green?


I thought not. And this lettuce that coming up, maybe for eating next week.


Is that all green? Nope. I didn't think so.

But I will admit that most of the colours haven't arrived yet. We're just starting on the yellow zuchini, and yellow patapan squash. The potatoes and tomatoes will still be awhile. I have to start thinning the carrots soon I think and that is always a favourite with everyone here. And in the back of the garden is corn that actually looks pretty good this year.

And these. Why do the kids conveniently forget about all of these when they are complaining about supper?



Now that I've got kids of my own I'm sorry for my own complaining as a child when my mom gathered good meals from her garden, only to hear many voices of complaint. It's very late, but I'm sorry, Mom!


And the inspiration for this post comes from our pool. We returned from a weekend away to find Derby Duck floating in a surprisingly green pool. This hasn't happened before in our big pool and if I empty it at this point, I may just not fill it up again until next summer. Any ideas on how to clear it up?

3 comments:

Rosa said...

Your garden looks AWSOME and I have no idea what to do about a green pool. :(

Tamara Jansen said...

Green is the prettiest color! Remind your children that the Lord chose green for the color of most of our landscape like trees and grass....imagine if He had chosen YELLOW or RED! That would be so bright, you'd go crazy. Green. I LOVE it :)

by the way, your garden looks amazing. Now what do you do with Bok Choi?

Evelyn in Canada said...

I love green too.

I use bok choi in stir fries, or shredded into pasta sauce. I'd like to roast it or BBQ it, but it doesn't seem to have a think stalk like the ones in the grocery stores. I'll try it once again next year and see if it does any differently.