Friday, January 14, 2011

That's so random

Random thoughts for today:

  1. In spite of yesterday's post, I'm not really too bummed about my height or weight. On the whole, I like my height. I hate shopping for it but that's how I feel about shopping anyway. My weight isn't great, but if it stayed where it is I'd be okay with it. It's the upward trend that isn't good.
  2. I'm not done with Christmas this year. Usually I need to take down the tree right away and pack away the music. This year I'm still enjoying playing carols on the piano and on the CD, and I'm listening to Stuart McLean's Christmas concert right now.
  3. I saw more family than usual over Christmas and it was a very good thing. We always see Yvon's family, but this year we saw some of mine too. It was great for my kids to get together with their cousins and play for hours. It was great for me to sit by the table with my sisters-in-law talking and always wishing we knew each other better, saw each other more often. It was great to see two of my brothers too and briefly visit with my brother-in-law and sister.
  4. 10 years ago I had a three-day-old baby girl in my arms. Wow. That seems like forever ago, and yet it went quickly too. She was lovely then and she's lovely now.
  5. She has two new holes in her ears.
  6. Two years ago I stopped buying kleenex, except for the mandatory boxes that appear on the school supply lists. I don't miss them. I prefer hankies for allergies and colds, I can mop up spilled coffee before it travels from our pew to the front of the church (is it supposed to be level? It's not), I can wipe sticky rib sauce or honey from fingers without ripping the fabric or having any of it stick to the stickiness. It's a good thing.
  7. Yvon and I have started a gluten-free existence. He feels better, my eczema has almost gone away, and it hasn't been that hard. On Laura's birthday I discovered this and it's an awesome cake. Diet changes aren't all that hard when you stay home and cook mostly from scratch anyway. Breads will be a problem for me though. I miss yeasty bread.
  8. A few years ago I stopped buying most crackers. My diet with Curves made me start looking at the fat content of crackers and it's not good. And our favourites all seemed to have soy protein in them, except for Stoned Wheat Thins. I'll miss those, but today I made these in a few minutes and they are really good. Very filling.
  9. Eating real food is generally more filling than processed food. Next week Rosa and I are going to watch Food Inc. together and go out for lunch to a restaurant that serves mostly local food. I'm looking forward to it.

And that's it for today. I'm going to try to do more paid work this year so I'd better do that.

1 comment:

Coralee said...

wow - good for you with all the healthy and green living! I am impressed and inspired!