Thursday, January 13, 2011

Life in Comparison

It's a pity I do this, but I do. I live my life in comparison to others. Not so much in terms of "keeping up with the Joneses" because I'm not really very materialistic, but I do that a bit too. However, look at this.


I took this picture a few minutes ago. There are days when I feel overweight based on the fact that I've gained 40-45 pounds since I got married 16 years ago. And on the fact that my knees and back do have some problems and the doctor has suggested that less weight on them would help. And I don't think he meant that I should stop carrying Alice or hauling my own groceries.

But when I look at this picture I don't feel like I should apply to be the next Biggest Loser.

It's when I go shopping that I feel most overweight. I hate the plus-size section. I'd love to be a happy size 16. For many of you that would be huge, but that leads me to the next picture.


I'm a freakin' fat giant!! And this is actually how all of you must see me. Only I see me alone. Everyone else in the world sees me beside other normal people. We do see each other in relation to the world around us. And the world around me is much, much smaller than I am.

In the future, all pictures of me must be taken alone, or beside mountains and tall trees. I either have to lose some weight or live a life of unbroken illusion, the illusion that I too am normal. Sigh...

7 comments:

Coralee said...

oh, Evelyn you are so beautiful! I know it's hard not to compare, but what a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

Yvon said...

You are the same sexy woman I married.

Unknown said...

God makes lots of people
In all colours, shapes and sizes
He loves them very much
And what we need to realize is
That calling people names because they're different, is wrong
Instead we need to look on them in love and sing this song...

*I can be your friend (la la la)
*I can be your friend (la la la)
*If your hair is red or yellow
*We can have lunch, I'll share my Jell-o!

This positive message brought to you by the awesome people at Big Idea, creators of VeggieTales. :)

Evelyn in Canada said...

Coralee and Yvon: You're both very sweet, but I really wasn't casting a line for undeserved compliments. This picture does bother me. However, I'm also not depressed or anything. I've seen these kinds of pictures all of my life, but I forget how shockingly big I really am sometimes. Bleah.

AJC: You make me laugh! That's the kind of thing I would tell or sing to my kids but I forget to make it apply to me as well. Thanks you!

Rosa said...

I just see my friend Ev.
See you soon.

Anonymous said...

It's not that you're a giant, it's that your standing next to a shrimp. Next time, stand next to me and you'll look great. :-)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Why strive for "normal"...it would be such a huge step down for you ... in a "not good way"

Trish (happilly abnormal in BC)