Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Down to earth

I know that not everyone has the time to make or do everything themselves. Or even the interest to do so. I know that I am very blessed to be able to work a few hours at home every month, leaving the rest of the time to take care of my family and household the way I love to do. I also know that I should work more hours than I do and that more of that time could be spent cleaning. Whatever. We all have our weaknesses. I have many.

One of my favourite blogs is Down to Earth, written by a lady that I'd love to have living on my street so that I could ask her questions daily. Although she and her husband grow most of their own food lives on their city plot (I must say that a city plot in Australia can be large and they have very different bylaws about poulty and livestock, and they can garden year-round), she totally understands that you can start living simply by starting with small things. Making your own hankies or knitting a dishcloth, then moving into making your own cleansers and bread, or just cutting back on pre-made packaged food.

She also knows that "living simply" isn't necessarily simple. It takes more time and effort, but it takes simple thought and simple products and goes back to the basics. It's about being deliberate about what we do, what we eat or clean with, how we dry our clothes and save our rain water. It is very "Down to Earth". Rhonda-Jean wrote a very good post this morning if you are interested.

No comments: