Saturday, July 6, 2013

Morning Bliss

Oh my gosh.  Baked oatmeal makes me so happy! If my family doesn't wake soon, they may not all get some of this.


I can't be held responsible.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups oats
1 1/2 c. milk (or 1/2 c powder milk, 1 1/2 c. water)
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. brown sugar, honey or sugar
1/4 c. butter
2 c. apples, apple sauce, or any canned fruit

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.  

As a canner, one thing I love about this recipe is that I can throw any fruit or jam that isn't moving quickly in place of the apples.  This time I put in 1 c. of rhubarb marmalade and added the peaches on top after it baked.  Skip the apples and cinnamon and try ginger and pears.  Canned plums that turned out mushy, or that weird sauce you thought might be good over ice cream.  Or you can try sunflower seeds, almonds, raisins, cranberries, dried cherries -- be creative and resourceful.  

Every combination I've tried has been a success.  Even though I woke way too early this morning, I'm happy!

No comments: