Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy Spring!

Okay, it looks more like a snowstorm at the moment than spring.  However, it is technically spring so I've starting searching blogs to justify my late start to the seed planting.  It makes me feel better if I see that other gardeners are behind too. 

So, with just leeks, parsley and celery started so far (and some poor germination as well), I have to get started with the next serious batch.  These include tomatoes as my primary crop.

I've got no pictures to share this morning of our snowy day, but I did find this interesting seed-starting chart from a fellow Canadian gardener. 

http://iwetmyplants.com/2011/02/01/seed-start-schedule/

When I plugged in our last frost date and first frost date, it calculated a bunch of start dates and harvest dates.  Although I think the seed-starting dates look pretty good and close to what I've done in the past, some of the outdoor planting dates won't work so well here. 

Some of the "move outdoors" dates mean planting in the frosty soil here unless you've warmed the soil with row covers or hoop houses.  Our very short season means the soil goes from frozen to warm very quickly.  Spring is not drawn out over a few months. 

Take them with a grain of salt, but I thought it was still interesting.

No comments: