Friday, February 17, 2012

Split Pea Soup

The only thing better than a bowl of soup on a cold day, is a bowl of soup made by someone else

Growing up, we were treated to a Dutch recipe of pea soup called snert.  We called it snot because it was green, and we didn't like it.  I know that I didn't like the thickness of the soup, and maybe that skewed my perception of it, or maybe my tastebuds are maturing.

This soup is fabulous, made by my friend and brought to my house because most of her family doesn't like it.  My kids do.  


And why isn't it green? I didn't ask.  Maybe she uses yellow split peas.  According to the web, the only difference between yellow and green split peas is the colour.  That might make the difference between a child calling it snot and snert though.  And maybe the difference between a child trying it or not.  That's a big difference really.

As far as I can tell, the other big difference is the thickness.  This version is thin and souplike.  The one I grew up with was really thick.  

So, make it the way you like by switching out the green peas for yellow, or adding more or less water to thin it out, but this is the soup I've been enjoying for two straight days now.  I'll have to try my mom's soup again one day. I'll probably love it now.


      Her Mom's Pea Soup

      2 cups dried peas
      ham (however much you have, and the bone if you have that too)
      1 carrot
      1 celery stock
      1 onion, sauteed
      1 bay leaf
      1 potato
      salt and pepper to taste

      Boil the peas in 10 cups of water for 5 minutes with the ham bone.  Leave to soak for 1 hour.

      Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the veggies are soft.  Remove the bone and eat!

No comments: