Friday, March 5, 2010

Stating the obvious

Yesterday Beth and I made a birthday present together. The request was changed from an art case to a bag to carry to and from violin lessons.


At first I thought, "Shoot - now I've got to figure out just how to do that when I already know how to make the art cases". It's always a bit more work when I've got to make up a pattern. However, we just used the basics of my huge orange purse, scaled it down and didn't include any of the pockets. Simple.

The bonus was that Beth sewed all of the pieces together. I just joined the lining to the exterior and added the handles.

When Alice saw it, she asked who it was for.


"Can't that poor child read yet?", you're probably asking yourself. Well, yes, she can (and very well, I might add). But it's not really that obvious. I mean, this is the bag that I use for my piano books.



The name on the bag isn't always an indication of the owner. It was a good question.

Also, we know two Ellas. One is a gerbil, but in Alice's mind the gerbil was a legimate answer to the question too. I'm not sure how that one plays out in her mind. Does the gerbil sleep in the bag? Chew the bag? Store her bedding in the bag? Host music classes in the bag?

Another very good question might be to ask why I am using a frayed, old bag of Alice's for my books when I can sew a perfectly pretty one for a child. I don't really know the answer for that. If I ever catch up with the needs of others, I'll start to sew something for myself.

1 comment:

Coralee said...

I'd say that's a great team effort! Great job - it looks perfectly ready for it's task.